NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 21:47:49 -0600
Heidi Loncosky wrote:

> What are some of the things that are helpful to you, to
> get through living with a milk free diet.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for trying to get our attention again!

One of my favorite and most needed items is a snack bag in the car.  I
have a rolling commisary, but with two young and quickly growing boys,
it keeps me sane.  I know that no matter where we go and what we
encounter, there will be food and water for them.

We keep Health Valley's Breakfast Bars, fruit leathers, raisins and
nuts and hard honey candies.  These are in an old purse hung over the
front seat into the back.  A plastic grocery sack is hung opposite it
for the wrappers and other garbage.

I spend a lot of time, when I can, baking things in the kitchen.  I find
that they love having treats that look like the things they see their
friends eating.  Brownies, muffins, sweet rolls, cookies can all be made
safely at home (see archives for recipes) and in my opinion should be.
There seems to be some discussion as to whether or not children can
understand the difference between the safe foods at home and the unsafe
foods elsewhere.  I believe you should trust the child's intelligence.

> Can someone tell me about the connection between milk and gluten?

Many people who cannot have dairy cannot have gluten.  Unless your child
has celiac sprue, autism or a reaction to wheat/gluten products I
wouldn't worry about those cross discussions.

> I'm not a scientist, doctor, or researcher. I'm just a Mom, trying to
> figure out how to take care of her children.

Me too!
--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd