NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:16:56 -0600
>Anyone have a lactose free recipe for rice pudding? -

I use Edensoy soymilk and my family loves the rice pudding (especially
using vanilla flavored soymilk).

>Regarding the recipes for cheesecake:  I have heard that it is unwise to
>eat Tofu without cooking it.  Any comments on this?

I have never heard this.  Tofu is soybean curd which means to make it the
soymilk has to be heated and boiled and then some kind of solidifier is
added (i.e. lemon juice, etc.) and then the curds form.  They are then
separated from the liqiud which is called whey.  Since everything is cooked
ahead i can't imagine any harm from fresh tofu.  The taste is rather bland
by itself (although I like it) so most people do like to cook it since it
takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

Rachele Shaw