NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:23:04 -0700
Re: goat's milk

Goat's milk may work for some people who cannot tolerate cow's milk, but
caution should be used the first time.  My daughter is very allergic to
cow's milk, and after talking to several people whose kids could drink
goat's milk, but not cow's milk, I decided to try it.  No luck - the reaction
was very similar to cow's milk...

Re: rice cakes

The only rice cakes I trust for my daughter is the plain ones.  I called
Quaker about one of their flavors (caramel corn, I think) that listed caramel
flavor.  The operator asked if I was lactose-intolerant or protein allergic
(a good indicator from a phone operator!).  She went off-line a moment to
check, and returned to say it does contain milk protein.  Most of the other
flavored ones have more obvious dairy products.

Re: dairy-free cookies

I don't have any recipes with me today, but I'll see what I can find.  Using
the substitues already suggested usually works great (rice milk, soy milk,
water, fruit juice).  Of course you can't do a recipe based on sour cream
or cream cheese or something, but most cookies work out OK.  The bigger problem
for me is Alyssa is also allergic to eggs.  I've become quite expert at
substituting for eggs in baking, but some things just don't quite work,
and most things don't work as well as the egg version. (I know, I know, just
change my expectations... but it's a life-time of baking with eggs, and
only a year of re-learning so far!)

Laurie
(and Alyssa, who eats my flat egg-free pancakes without complaint!)