NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 12:05:12 -0500
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am told that drinking cow's milk, and using it in cooking, is a practise
>which is many thousands of years old in India. This apparently contrasts with
>points made earlier on this List about milk being a very recent addition to the
>Western diet.

Except that "many thousands of years" is extremely short from a biological
perspective. We've been mammals for 200 million years. We split from the
other primates some 7.5 million years ago. We've been eating meat for at
least 2 million years. And so on. It won't surprise me if some Europeans
have also being consuming milk for "many thousands of years".

Don.