NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 06:43:08 -0800
Katherine Murray writes:

I am not worried about the cookies... they should be fine.
But the frosting!
The kids (preschool) will be decorating their cookies with
the icing.  So it
can't be too thick or thin, and I really want it to be like
the store-bought
tubs of icing so all the kids will think David is cool.
Any other great
frosting recipes out there?  Also, one bowl needs to be
pink or red and I do
NOT want to use dye.. we have problems with that too.
Suggestions?  Beets or
cranberry juice?  How is the flavor with that?
====================================
Dunno about coloring, but we make this icing and it works
great:

1/3 cup shortening
2 cups (or more) powdered sugar
1/4 cup liquid (Rice dream, fruit juice, Soy Moo, whatever)
1 tsp flavoring (vanilla, almond, maple, whatever)
coloring as needed (if desired)

cream shortening until fluffy, add sugar until  crumbly,
add
liquid, add sugar alternately until the icing is the
thickness you want.  Add flavoring and coloring.  Make it
pretty thick (which may take more powdered sugar than
listed, I think it usually takes most of a box) and put it
in ziplock bags.  Seal the bags, snip off a little of one
corner, and squeeze - instant pastry bag and the kids don't
get it all over their hands.  Tastes good, looks good,
isn't really wet enough to hold sprinkles but you can stick
candies on it.  There's enough to ice a 13X9 cake sheet.

psam

Motherhood - not just a job, it's an Adventure!