NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
cerise lody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 03:36:21 -0000
Just to be absolutely clear, this is *James* here, Cerise's boyfriend (and
the subject of her letter).  Replies can be mailed to Cerise or to me (at

I'd just like to add my thanks to Cerise's.  I had subscribed and then
unsubscribed to this list, because most of the info is US-specific,
especially the "safe foods" and where to get them.. very depressing to read
all the stuff I COULD eat IF I lived in the States.. thank goodness Cerise
took interest in the recipes on the list.

"Thanks" for the info & encouragement; it is *very* disheartening when the
doctor looks at you and says "oh, but everyone feels tired after a meal - I
do" when you've just explained that you feel like you've been up for about
72 hours and just *cannot* stay awake a moment longer.. that's *not*
normal!  I've been banging my head against a medical wall for a year (since
I had a lasagna and felt like I was drunk for about half an hour).

I've found I get reactions to such diverse foods that I'm having problems
pinning it down!  I mean, what *is* the common element in:
  Tuna
  Carrot cake
  Oreo cookies
  Sausages
  Pizza

According to the list, it's dairy products!

Even a meal that was Egg, sausage and chips gave me a reaction!  What could
be safer than that??

My boss was not getting impressed that during the AM my work was great, but
ask me to do anything in the PM and you'll wait till tomorrow!  It got to
the point that I was going in to work at 07:30, and NOT being able to claim
any overtime, because my productivity would end about 14:00!

> From: Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: THANKS
> Date: 16 January 1998 17:56
> At 08:44 AM 1/14/1998 -0000, you wrote:
> >has just started a new job and sometimes after eating he is so tired
that
> >he loses at least 4 hours a day.
>
> This sounds just like me a year ago.  I figured out dairy and gluten were
> problems for me.  The gluten seemed to be the culprit that caused the
> fatigue.  I used to call it "bone weary".  As a measuring of explaining
how
> tired I was I would compare it to how tired I had been when I had mono.
> The only reason I could function at all was the tiredness receded
somewhat
> after the 3-4 hours.  I don't think it was normal.  I've never seen other
> people who claim to be well and also suffer this sort of fatigue.  It
> really is debilitating.  As an experiment, try eating just steamed
veggies
> or a salad with a non-dairy dressing for lunch.  Also, avoid caffeine
like
> the plague.  See if the fatigue is still as bad after the meal.  I am
> susceptible to the sleepiness after any high-starch meal, but that only
> lasts an hour or so.  Potatoes, legumes, sweet potatoes, I try to eat
after
> work.

Yup, that sounds familiar.  It's SUCH a relief because the symptoms I've
read about on the list I don't really get:
  cramps [rarely - only with cream/ice-cream]
  diahorrea [never]

And the stuff I do get is never mentioned
  drowsiness
  "drunkenness" (dizziness, looking drunk)

And it's reassuring that some people out there are going through the same
sorts of symptoms.  I don't know if I'm LI or not - just glad to know that
- just maybe - I'm NORMAL!

> I have tons of non-dairy, gluten-free recipes.  Mostly 1 dish entrees.
Let
> me know what you need.

I think we're content to keep on collecting them off the list - but thanks
for the offer.  Do you have a homepage we can go to?

> A book that made a huge difference to me is CHRONIC FATIGUE AND TIREDNESS
> by Susan M. Lark, M.D.  It's a self-help book that includes recipes and
> guidelines.

Oooh!  I'd better look into that!

OK, now I get to confuse *everybody* by quoting a *different* email from a
*different* thread in this same reply.

----------
> From: Leslie Beachwood <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Does Soy Intolerance persist, THANKS, and Dogs
> Date: 17 January 1998 16:46

> Re: Cerise Lody's troubles, my heart goes out to you. Please persist in
> your efforts to get well. I think the most discouraging part of food
> intolerance isn't the condition but the universal disbelief and
> sometimes hostility you often get from the medical profession

Arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Aaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhh!!!
AAAArrrrGGGGhhhHHHHhh!!!

Ok, I feel better now.

>, never mind family and friends.
They're ok - it was mum who reminded me that my father's mother could never
digest dairy food.

> One other thought occurred to me; have you been tested for hypoglycemia
> and/or diabetes? The crash-and-burn fatigue after meals sounds very
> familiar to me
> [snip]

I *think* I've been tested for diabetes (when this problem first began,
about 5 years ago or more).  And sugar doesn't give me a big problem (I
don't think).  I can certainly eat sweets and chocolate.  Most of the time.
 Chocolate makes me a little tired, but that could be due to the high milk
content in British chocolate.  But other sugary foods don't - I *think* do
the thing to me.  Tuna was the main offender (or it could have been the
brown bread it came in.. I avoid both now, anyhow).

Thanks again.

James