NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:56:15 -0600
At 08:44 AM 1/14/1998 -0000, you wrote:
>has just started a new job and sometimes after eating he is so tired that
>he loses at least 4 hours a day.

This sounds just like me a year ago.  I figured out dairy and gluten were
problems for me.  The gluten seemed to be the culprit that caused the
fatigue.  I used to call it "bone weary".  As a measuring of explaining how
tired I was I would compare it to how tired I had been when I had mono.
The only reason I could function at all was the tiredness receded somewhat
after the 3-4 hours.  I don't think it was normal.  I've never seen other
people who claim to be well and also suffer this sort of fatigue.  It
really is debilitating.  As an experiment, try eating just steamed veggies
or a salad with a non-dairy dressing for lunch.  Also, avoid caffeine like
the plague.  See if the fatigue is still as bad after the meal.  I am
susceptible to the sleepiness after any high-starch meal, but that only
lasts an hour or so.  Potatoes, legumes, sweet potatoes, I try to eat after
work.

I have tons of non-dairy, gluten-free recipes.  Mostly 1 dish entrees.  Let
me know what you need.

A book that made a huge difference to me is CHRONIC FATIGUE AND TIREDNESS
by Susan M. Lark, M.D.  It's a self-help book that includes recipes and
guidelines.