NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:26:12 PST
In "Food and Food Additive Intolerance in Childhood," T J David has a
chart which shows the types of symptoms which can occur with milk
protein (e.i. casein) intolerance (some are similar to milk allergy
symptoms and some are similar to lactose intolerance symptoms):

Rash around the mouth
Urticaria (Raised red welts of various size on the surface of the
skin, often itchy, associated with an allergic reaction and
histamine release or abnormalities in parts of the immune system)
Vomiting
Frequent loose stools
Irritability
Wheeze/cough
Atopic Eczema
Poor weight gain
Angioedema (swelling similar to urticaria (hives), but the swelling is
beneath the skin rather than on the surface.  The eyes, lips, legs,
hands, for example, may puff up)
Rhinitus (A chronic running nose that is characterized by intermittent
episodes of sneezing, watery nasal drainage (rhinorrhea), and
blood vessel congestion of the nasal mucus membranes)
Pallor
Stridor (An abnormal, high-pitched, musical breathing sound caused by
a blockage in the throat or larynx; usually heard when inhaling. )

Any of these can occur due to casein intolerance, not necessarily in any
order, and not necessarily all of them in every patient.