NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:25:30 -0500
----------
From:  DAVID POHLE[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:  Thursday, October 30, 1997 9:04 AM
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Unexplained Diarrhea cont'd

Hi David,
Have you been tested for allergies??  It sounds like you may
be allergic to one or more of the several ingredients in milk.  Maybe you
are not just "lactose intolerant".  People react to allergies many
different ways.  My son is 3 and is allergic to dairy, eggs, and wheat.
Eggs and dairy he was tested at level 4 which is the highest and most severe.
Wheat is was tested at a 2.  He can tolerate wheat at any amount.  Even eats
wheat thins.  However the dairy and eggs, he can't.  If a small amount of milk
was placed on his face he would blow up like a balloon.  He recently had an
anaphylactic reaction to some "Non dairy ice-cream". (guess it wasn't).
What I am trying to say is it really depends on how severe your allergy or intolerance
is and how much you digest, how the food is cooked and so on and so on...
If you haven't been tested, do it.  It will be worth it.

Could any non-dairy "expects" out there elaborate
more on Monica's comments on my posting.  To
summarize: I said that I sometimes get unexplained
diarrhea when I avoid all lactose, and I observed a
possible correlation between this and  Lactaid 100.  I
was thinking that maybe some trace amounts of lactose
remain sometimes in the milk.   She says that she gets
cramping from casein, and has to avoid Lactaid 100
milk.

Is it possible to get diarrhea (no other symptoms) from
casein?