NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 14:59:07 -0700
I was curious to read the comment on this list that children never really
outgrow any of their allergies.
If I can successfully quote, " There is a period in most kids lives where the symptoms
decrease for a WHILE....but that is all that happens.  Internally the immune
system IS still reacting and the person IS still suffering from their
allergic response.  If continued exposure continues through this "resting"
stage of outward symptoms, the allergy often becomes life
threatening...causing an anaphylaxis type reaction some time in the future."

While I don't doubt this was true for this specific individual, I am extremely
worried that this could become true for my 21 month old who is allergic to
almost all foods known to man: all grains, all beans, all nuts, all dairy,
soy, corn, potatoes, avocados, all seeds-- basically he eats meat and fruit.
I have been reassured by many parents and doctors that he will outgrow MOST of
these (oh yeah, eggs too) , although maybe not nuts.  Does anyone know of
studies related to outgrowing allergies based on good-sized samples.  My own
feeling is that as we removed the offending foods, his intestines/eczema
have calmed down, his digestion has gotten stronger, he is gaining weight, and
now seems to eat certain beans, potatoes, etc. that before he could not tolerate.
Anyone have inspiring stories of outgrowing one or more allergy for toddlers? I
don't want to be unrealistic but my son can really eat almost nothing.

Thanks.
Susan.