NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:11:01 -0400
Hi Everyone.  My son, almost 9 had a food allergy reaction at day care this
past week.  I thought it is worth mentioning so that for those of us with
food allergies, can learn to protect ourselves and or our kids.   He
described his reaction as a balloon filling up with air in his throat.  He
also ended up figuring out what he ate (a chicken nugget with cheese).  Next
his teachers were unsure of what was happening, but he used Epi-pen because
he wanted the reaction to go away.  You  may want to share this story with
your child.

We had several things in place to protect him.  An Epi-pen and an Emergency
Plan in a fanny pack that was with him.  He was registered with a program
called 10-33 with the ambulance service so they had his medical records on a
computer and the hospital greeted us at the door despite the long line of
people waiting to register.   He had a medical alert braclet on.  His
teachers were trained and despite their hesitation to use the Epi-pen, they
made the right phone calls and took the situation seriously.   This serves as
a reminder to all of us to make sure we have everything in place.    Please
remember it only takes a small bite, and it happens very very fast.  Please
protect the ones your love!!