NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:21:42 -0500
"Seph A. Reese" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I like, prefer the Rice Dream to soy milk also.

>Anyways, I'm gluten intolerant also

If you are gluten intolerant you should be aware that Rice Dream has a very
small amount of gluten in it. They use barley enzymes to break down the
rice starch to sugar. It cannot be fully washed out.

>Eileen Yoder, Ph.D, President of the Inter'l Food Allergy Association in
>Oak park, Illinois heard about it and after 6 mos of study concluded "For
>most wheat-sensitive people, Kamut can be an excellent substitute for common
>wheat."

Marketing bullshit. Kamut has gluten. There is absolutely no question about
this. It's like asking the cigarette companies if cigarettes cause any
health problems.

Anyway, to get a second opinion on the allergy aspects I sent Seph's
article to the leading US expert on wheat proteins. He replied:

From: "Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>

Sounds like 99 and 44/100 percent pure crap to me too. If the Eileen Yoder
mentioned has published her findings in a reputable journal (I am not aware
of any publication), I would be pleased to evaluate them.  Otherwise, I
suspect this is just a lot of pseudoscientific hype.

Don.