From:
charlie white <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:11:07 -0400

Hi all,

There is always some discussion about eating out, parties etc.  It is very
hard for us celiacs at first but what I would like to say is give yourself
time to adjust to this new way of eating and realize that your health is
no.1.  Not to discourage anyone but it took me 2 yrs. to get a handle on
this diet.  At first I felt very self concious bringing my own food but now
I dont and I find that people dont notice or really care what you are eating.
What is important I believe is to bring to the outing something tasty and
delicious for yourself that you can eat even if you have to make it from
scratch.  It is physociologically(sp)important so as not to feel deprived.
You will not be noticed as being different and chances are you will be asked
for your recipe.  This has happened to me numerous times.  I really stress
that it is important to bring something for yourself, anything is better
than standing there eating nothing. Just remember you are not different, you
are just eating healthier than everybody else.

Janet in Maine