From:
Amy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 13:44:33 +0000

Seems to me that I remember reading on one of the celiac web pages
(there are so many--thanks to all you Web authors who make it so!)
that annatto is on some unsafe lists because the color can be extracted
from the seed hulls with substances made from offending grains (like
grain alcohol). So the danger with annatto seems to be sort of like the
reason some of us don't use natural vanilla flavoring--not the actual
annatto seed, but the possibility of grain alcohol contamination,
(limited as the risk might be, according to some fans of distillation
processes).

Kellogg's Corn Pops recently (I noticed this past weekend) added annatto
back to their ingredients list. In Dallas, it started with the boxes
advertising deals on the Six Flags themeparks. Check your boxes!

I've finally been convinced that I need to do a complete testing for
food sensitivities, after suffering for two weeks w/ immune system
problems, and my dear husband pointing out we've had corn almost every
day...please e-mail good Dallas-area doctors, or suggestions about what
sort of dr. to look for to do this kind of testing, directly to me at
mailto:[log in to unmask] . Thanks in advance!

Healthful blessings, Amy