From:
Jan Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 14:01:20 -0400

Someone wrote me regarding my search for gluten-free candies. She said her
husband was just diagnosed last week and that he loves to frequent the candy
machine at work. Since my latest group of letters got "deleted" instead of
"saved" I can't respond directly to you. I have a list of GF candies for you.
Please let me know if you get this. Happy to share with everyone else, too!

1) HERSHEY CO. (1-800-468-1714)

GF candies:

Cadbury's Caramello
     "          Creme Eggs

Hershey's 5th Avenue
      "        Kisses and Kisses with Almonds
      "        Milk Chocolate bar and with almonds
      "        Mr. Goodbar
      "        Skor
      "        Special dark chocolate
      "        Symphony

Peter Paul Almond Joy and Mounds

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (reg and crunchy)
      "      Pieces

Rolo caramels

York Peppermint Patties

Luden's Cough Tablets-honey/lemon, menthol/eucalyptus, orange, wild cherry
    "       Throat Drops-honey/lemon, honey/licorice, original menthol, wild
cherry

2) M&M/ MARS CO. (1-800-222-0293)

Several years ago they sent me a list of gluten-free candies. However, they
do not supply a list at present. The person I spoke to several months ago was
very knowledgeable. She told me that gluten is considered in the list of top
8 allergens. Their produsts list specific ingredients contained in the top 8
allergens. Therefore, if a product states "natural flavors" then it is GF. If
it contained gluten it would state "natural wheat (or barley,etc.) flavors".

The candies considered GF are:

Snickers
3 Musketeers
Munch Bar
M&M chocolate candies (plain, peanut, and Holidays)
Starburst (original, strawberry, tropical) -I'm not sure of other flavors.
Skittles

Give your dentists my regards!

Jane