From:
Linda J Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 10:12:57 EDT

I just read and inadvertently deleted the post about the young boy
diagnosed with lactose intolerance. Even though lactose intolerance has
been diagnosed, please have the ova and parasite testing done. Lactose
intolerance is a common symptom of Giardiasis. Giardia is a parasitic
infection that affects three times more children than adults. If he is
positive, I would also have family members tested. It is a simple test
(Although yucky!) and only involves collecting stool samples. According
to the National Institutes of Health  "many infected people have very
mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Occasionally, the illness can last
for months or even years, causing recurrent mild or moderate symptoms
such as impaired digestion, especially lactose intolerance, intermittent
diarrhea; tiredness; weakness;and significant weight loss. Families with
young children who attend day-care centers are at greater risk of
developing giardiasis than the general population."