From:
Ronan Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:43:22 +0100

Hi fellow listmembers!

My family and I are going on a camping holiday to Spain from 30th. June to
20th. July.  We will be staying in 2 campsites one week in Santillana near
Santander on the Atlantic Coast and one week in Sitges on the Mediterranean
Coast.

I would appreciate any advice about:
1) where to buy GF products for self-catering and for snacks
2) what words to look for on labels (both ingredients to avoid and words
which indicate that a product is GF)
3) how to recognise dishes that I should avoid on menus
4) the names of dishes which are more likely to be GF (please note I'm also
vegetarian)

I have a restaurant card in Spanish which says:
"Por razones medicasyo tengo que adherime a una dieta muy exacta que
excluye todo vestigio de GLUTEN.  Esto es una substancia que se halla enel
TRIGO, CENTENO, CEBADA, y AVENAS, mas no se halla en otros cereales como
MAIS, ARROZ, et CETERA.

Cono una guia general al comer "afuera", mi dieta requiere:-
SOPA:- solamente si es clara y sin adorno (por ejemplo sin crouton, sin
pasta, sin cebada).

CARNA/PESCADO/VERDURA:- servidos sin contacto con caldillos, salsas,
rellenos, barnices o pasta (por ejemplo croquetas).
POSTRES:- Tipos simples como fruta y nata (de lecheria), jaleas, saju,
arroz, tapioca, y ciertos helados.

QUESOS:-  se permitten la mayoria de la variedades, pero sin biscochos.
(Claramente no se permitten pan, pastillas, bizcochos panecillos).
BEBIDAS:- se permitten la mayoria de la variedades
Muchas Gracias por su co-operacion favorable"

Could anyone tell me if this is:
a) accurate for a GF diet
b) relevant to the type of food I might expect to find in Spain
c) easy to understand and suitable to explain GF requirements to a waiter
or chef?

Will everyone understand Spanish (or English) or should I buy dictionaries
in Basque and Catalan also?

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.  Please email me
privately to [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance  -  Liz (Ward), Dublin, Ireland.