From:
Elise Gorseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:35:13 -0400

I have a question regarding the status of glutamate and MSG as being
non-gluten free. It is my understanding that these items, which are both
amino acids, are derived from animal sources rather than plant. Does anyone
have any hard evidence regarding the status of glutamate, or is have the
comments of late been of a more anecdotal nature?

With respect to distilled white vinegar: I have tried very hard to
understand why anyone would consider vinegar or distilled alcohol a gluten
containing product. Gluten is a protein, and proteins have no vapour
pressure and cannot be distilled. Therefore, it seems virtually impossible
for a protein or protein fragment such as gluten to contaminate a distilled
product such as vinegar or alcohol. Does anyone have any proof of the
status of distilled vinegars and alcohols, or is this information just
based on heresay?

I am quite curious about what actual testing has been done on various food
items to determine whether or not they are contaminated with gluten, and
would appreciate any information regarding these matters.