From:
Melissa Cherpas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:57:46 -0400

In a message dated 97-04-12 06:23:46 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Sandra J
Leonard) writes:

<< There has been a recent thread about doctors not being helpful when
 dealing with Celiac Disease patients and statements made wishing doctors
 would show more knowledge about Celiac Disease to their patients. >>

i am a physician in an unrelated field.  you cannot imagine the amount of
information we are bombarded with every day.  if we truly stayed experts on
all possible diseases, we would have no time to see patients, let alone spend
time with our families.

most physicians choose one or two diseases to have expertise in and have some
knowledge in all others.  even my child's pediatric gastroenterologist, who
is an expert at stanford, learns things from me and other patients at times.
 likewise, i have patients with illnesses who bring me information that they
got from the 'net about their problems.

i was unaware of the level of hatred for physicians in this country until i
joined this list.  please remember that most doctors try hard and are good
people, just like yourselves.  there is another side of the story.  i am in
the only profession i know of that if my pager goes off while i am comforting
one of my children, even if i just got home after a long day at the office, i
have to put the child down and answer the page.  often this page is not a
true emergency at all, but convenient for someone who "didn't have time" to
call me during regular office hours.

i'll stop preaching there.  'just a request for the same respect you would
show anyone else.  thanks.