From:
"Brenda A. Graham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:12:18 -0400

Many thanks to all the responders to my questions about
elimination diets.

Here's a try at summarizing:

References suggested:
"The Allergy Self_help Book" by Sharon Faaelton and the editors
of Prevention Mag, published by Rodale Press: step by step guide
to nondrug relief of asthma, hay fever, headaches, fatigue,
digestive problems andover 50 other allerg-related health
problems.
"Is This Your Child" by Doris Rapp: discusses allergies,
nontraditional symptoms plus her methods of allergy control.
"An Alternative Approach to Allergies" by Theorn Randolph:
outlines a 4 day toational diet..
http://www.langunabeachca.com/symptoms.htm
http://www.nutramed.com/zeno/cpl.htm
        I haven't gotten to any of the books yet but these two
sites above were helpful.

Rotation vs. uniformly restricted Elimitation diet:
(a rotation diet involves eating foods of the same 'family'
on a four day rotation ). A rotation diet offers more
variety, better nutrician and reduces the possibility of
precipitating an allergic response from eating the same
thing over and over without variety. However,  remember
thats all about ALLERGIES -  a quote I found from Joe
Murray in the archive (Posting number 204, dated 7 Dec 1994
): "While rotation diets are interesting and may even have
some potential in allergic individuals they are not
appropriate for celiacs unless celiacs have an unrelated
allergic condition."

Foods suggested as a basic starter diet, typically well
tolerated :
>homemade turkey broth (boil the bones of the turkey with some
celery and carrots and then strain).
> water,chicken, lamb, pork, safflower oil and margarine, rice
(any type), potatos, green beans, carrots, asparagus, soybeans
, salt, pears, peaches
>carrots, broccoli, salmon, plaice, salt, pumpkin, swede, lamb,
turkey, rice, safflour oil. Supps: cod liver oil, calcium-magnesium,
hypoallergenic multi-vitamin (try Solgar or KAL)
>dates, dried aprocots, pears and  figs. first.
>rice and fresh vegetables, steamed or sauteed
in a little olive oil
>fast, juice fast (only vegetable juices), juice fast plus
fruit
>start with a four day starch rotation:  rice
day, potato day, corn day, sweet potato/tapioca day

Foods suggested to add later:
>bread, cheese, different vegetables, fruit, milk, rice
crackers, Rice Krispies
>processed foods and baked goods
>potatoes
>Almonds and walnuts came next, then all
sorts of cabbage, and various other veg

Stay on starter 'base' menu:
until sympton free
4 days
10 days
2 weeks
21 days

Add a new food (as long as theres no reaction) every
day
2 days
a 'few' days
a week
10 days

Keep a careful Diary.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful responses.
Brenda
Brenda A Graham                      Admin Computing & Info Svcs
[log in to unmask]       Carnegie Mellon Univ, Pittsburgh, PA