From:
Marilyn Gioannini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:04:42 -0600

The other day, I said:

"You can order light buckwheat flour from:

   Birkett Mills
   P. O. Box 440
   Penn Yan, NY 14527
   315-536-3311

They only sell buckwheat products, so there should be no
cross-contamination. Enjoy!"

But Gayle Kennedy, a native of Penn Yan, informed me:

"Unfortunately, during the tour (of the plant) , I learned that Birkett
Mills do mill wheat and one or two other grains.  They are all dumped into
the same underground bin area when they first arrive at the mill.  Storage
takes place there for hours or days, before the grain is then moved on
into the plant in air hoses, as I recall.  I believe they air hose out the
bin between grains, and the buckwheat grains go thru a sifter that is
supposed to eliminate smaller grains if any get into the buckwheat area by
mistake.  Buckwheat grains are relatively large when compared to wheat,
barley, or oats.  The buckwheat is NOT ground on the same stones as the
other grains, so there should be no contamination on the grinding stones."

So, there is a possibility of cross-contamination after all. My sincere
apologies for the misinformation. Maybe this accounts for some of the bad
reactions people have had using buckwheat...

Gayle suggests that limiting yourself to the whole grain may be safe,
because they are larger and can be visually inspected to be sure they are
indeed buckwheat. Buckwheat is fairly soft and can be ground in a blender,
although the result is not as fine as the commercially ground product.

Use your own judgement - the flour is ok for me, but then I am not a celiac!

Marilyn