From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

At home I have a bottle of Tommy Tang's Thai Fish Sauce. It lists the
ingredients as: anchovy extract, water, and natural sea salt.

This might be OK for someone sensitive to soy and/or gluten, but not
for low salt or strict vegetarian diets. It is pretty potent stuff.
It tastes saltier than soy sauce and has a strong flavor. I read
about it in the Frugal Gourmet's book, "3 Ancient Cuisines," and I
gathered that it is a forerunner of Worchester sauce. The ancient
Romans had a fish sauce similar to this (which sounded awful, being
made with *aged* fish).

I got the fish sauce out of curiosity, because I love Worchester
sauce, but the fish sauce is, well, fishier. Worchester sauce has
anchovies in it too, at least the brands I've noticed, so my
vegetarian friends won't use it either.

Bobbi in Baltimore