From:
Paul Kagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:58:20 EST

Hi y'all,

        This is a long one, but here goes my summary.

Hi all. These Pesach recipes come by way of Beth Hillson at the GF panty (Not
affiliated, no financial interest etc.) and appear in their newsletter THE
GUT REACTION. I havent tried them yet but Beth assures me that though they
sound weird they're great.

Connie's Un-Matzoh Balls
(she credits one Connie Margolin who came up with the formula inspired by a
recipe in Joan Nathan's Jewish Holiday Kitchen

4 eggs
3 Tbs rendered chicken fat, softened
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Xanthan gum
1 cup Idaho spuds (Instant potatoes)
4 TBs chicken stock

Beat eggs with chicken fat Add salt and xanthan gum to Instant potatoes. Add
stock. Chill 20-30 minutes. Wet hands. Use teaspoon to help form rounded
balls and plop on a plate.

Steam on a steaming ring in wok or make a quick steamer using a large skillet
fitted with a cover.: Fill skillet with about 3 inches of water, Bring to a
boil. Set a ring in the middle of the pan. Set plate on ring and cover
skillet.
Let steam, covered, about 20 minutes.

Or drop un-matzoh balls into simmering chicken soup and cook, covered, for 20
minutes. Both methods were successful.
Best results came from steaming, then reheating in  soup before serving.

There's a recipe for matzo that uses the GF Pantry French Bread/Pizza mix
which I'll  include because I think many folks may have it..

Matzo

2 cups GF Pantry french bread/pizza Mix
1/3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbs cold butter cut into small pieces
4-5 Tbs cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine French Bread/Pizza Mix, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add butter
and rub into flour mixture until texture is crumbly.

Add water a teaspoon at a time until dough forms a firm ball. Spray a flat
surface with vegetable spray. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Trim into
rectangles.

Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and prick all over with a fork.  Bake
15-20 minutes or until light brown.

Happy Pesach to all!  judy in gloriously sunny nyc

1c. GF flour mix (without leavening added) [Leavening is baking powder, baking
soda, yeast, etc.]
3 tsp. water
1 egg
pinch salt.

Mix ingredients well to get uniform "dough". Add water if necessary.   GF
flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a thinnish leaf. Cut it
into squares, peirce with a fork, etc. to make it look like the matzot we knew
and loved and put it straight on the rack of your oven (I use a toaster oven).
Bake on high heat (around 440 deg) until it just starts to turn brown.

The idea behind any matza is that it be baked within 18 minutes of adding
liquid to the flour, and quickly at high heat.

Connie in NYC has given me permission to post her recipe for matza to the
list.  This is best when baked and eaten the same day.

1 cup potato starch
1 egg yolk
6 T apple cider

Whiz it in the processor until a ball forms.  Cut into 6 sections, roll each
into a little ball. Flatten on parchment, cover with more parchment and roll
out thin.  Prick with a fork.  Bake at 425 until solid and brown at edges.

(3 per cookie sheet)  Peel from parchment and bake some more on the rack
itself until browned nicely.

>From Diane Smith

I preface this post with the caveat, that not all  those celebrating Passover
may agree. However, Sephardic and many Reform Jews  will eat rice during
Passover. I realize that other Jews may not be comfortable with this.  If you
are comfortable eating rice, Hol-grain rice crackers make a very good
substitute for matzoh.

They also make delicious matzoh balls.  Just grind them up  until they are the
same texture as matzoh meal.   Follow the directions on the Manishevitz Matzoh
ball mix box, just substitute the Hol-grain ground crackers for the matzoh
meal.  For those of you who don't feel comfortable trying this on Passover,
but miss matzoh balls, I suggest you try this for another holiday.

For those of you in the Washington DC area:

 "Steve Friedman" <[log in to unmask]> Wrote:
The person in this area who arranges for the GF matzah last year, Lorretta
Winograd ........
Her number is:  202-296-3198.

        [I called Loretta and asked if it was OK to post her phone number,
         and she said it was OK.  It comes from England, so you might want
         to order with a few weeks to spare.  Paul ]

Good luck, and thanks to all who wrote.
                        Paul Kagan