Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 08:12:26 -0700

I know there has been much roving around about the President and his
allergies ... I'm wondering if we might approach him ... about verifying his
allergy ... my guess as well is that even tho he has the "best of the best"
medically they may just be treating the "allergy" and he and/or his Doctors
may be as much in the darkness about Celiac as the rest of the Medical
Profession.  My take would be that we go to him ... find out what his
comfort level is about going public about this (after we verify what he has
exactly) and then consider approaching him about being a spokesperson of
some type.  Of course WE are not organized enough to do that at this time
... I mean I don't think he would affiliate with something as loose as the
list ... nor would I want the restricions that would go along with the list
if it were to be that public .... but if he were interested I'm sure some of
us could branch off and form a Non Profit pretty quickly that he would be
willing to consider attaching to ... especially if we get some of our Hot
top people from the list to be Charter Members and serve on the Board.
(Just think these days you can have a board meeting on the computer with a
video (cams under $100 now!) chat program without having to travel anywhere
- what possablities!)  Anyway ... this president (unlike so many before) is
(even with his McDonald's reputation) has been very devoted to Health Care
Education and Reforms ... and I'm seeing him all over the place advocating
for how important and difficult being a Parent is.  Example is a magazine
add the other day ... he's walking across the lawn with Hillary and Chelsea
and the headline reads "The Hardest Job in the world is NOT being President
... it's being a Parent" ... It's a promo for a Parenting Non Profit
resource center.  If feels to me if we approach him to use his position to
help educate others about Gluten in general and Celiac as a sidenote and
Wheat sensitivities generally along with the being a Parent (of these
challenging kids) then we would be using him with his support to further an
important Health Issue.  I personally had never even heard the word Gluten
until 1992 ...

Again personally I do not feel comfortable releasing ANYTHING we do or don't
know about his health or allgergies without his total permission and
involvment on some level.  And ... if it looks like it's going to be made
into a big deal with the press ... then he might be very prone to turn it
around from a Circus Side Show (HAMBURGER EATING PRESIDENT ALLERGIC TO
WHEAT!) to a positive that would help people and children as well.

Sorry to be so long.  I'd like to see this work.  I think he's a good
advocate and will be productive for many years to come if we can solicit his
support.

Amy