From:
"Robert R. Becker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:22:05 -0700

There are a couple of points I would like to make in response to the
discussion of McDonald's burgers and condiments: 1)McDonald's has an
ingredients list in each store, if you can't remember what you can have, or
if you want to double check an ingredient, ask for the recipe list; 2)Much
of this discussion has already been addressed by someone (I forget who, but
they discussed how and why McDonald's tries to maintain uniformity in all
their stores).

        Anecdotally, I have been eating McDonald's burgers, etc. for 21
years (since I was about 5 or 6) and have, to my knowledge, never suffered a
reaction from eating there.   think the biggest dangers are from
cross-contamination of fries and from the buns being warmed on the same
grill as the burger.

        Another anecdotal point I would like to make is that I work with the
speech and debate team and I competed when I was an undergraduate.  This job
and the activity of collegiate speech and debate require me to travel to
college tournaments from Colorado Springs to Portland, Oregon to Salt Lake
City and I am still alive.  Don't let anything and everything scare you.
Within reason, you need to be safe.  After that, live a little.  I will add
that I am perhaps not as sensitive as some folks are.  ( I also realize that
nearly any and all intake of gluten does some damage to the intestine.  I
plan on keeping pretty close watch on my physical status, so that if
anything comes up [colon cancer] I can nip it in the bud.)  If you are
extremely sensitive, then you need to be extremely careful.  My mother bakes
muffins and takes them along form breakfast when she travels.  I don't have
time to bake muffins, so I order bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns when I travel.

        I'll get off my soapbox now.  Thanks for listening.  All I am
advocating is to take control of your own life and don't limit yourself with
boundaries that are not there.

Bob Becker
Northwest College
Powell, WY