From:
Patrick Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:36:22 +0000

Hi everyone:

I am writing requesting information about children after diagnosis.  If you
would be good enough to share with me whether you have had your children
re-blood tested at intervals after beginning a gf diet and what those
results might have been.

The responses are for the mother of a 6 year old diagnosed 6 months ago.
Symptoms have disappeared (diarrhea, stomach aches, refusal to eat) however
6 months into the diet--mild anemia is unchanged at all and antibody level
is double that found prior to diagnosis when child was eating a regular diet.
Parents and child are diligent about the diet and all foods have been
verified as GF (as much as manufacturers will) and anything questionable has
been omitted.  Her diet is very simple and basic.  School has been ruled out
as a source of contamination--monitoring is very strict since there is also
an anaphalactic child in this very small class.  All school "treats" are
verified with the mother as to brand and content and the teacher is both
aware and very cooperative.

The result seems to be--a child symptomatically improved with antibodies
that are somehow worse on a GF diet,--and a very frustrated family.

This has also been posted to cel-kids.  I apologize to those of you who may
receive it twice.

Thank you for any support and help.
Coralie, NJ