From:
"Judy C. Hettena Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 06:47:46 -0500

Hi all-
During the matzoh/challah discussion that followed my question, we went off
on a horseradish tangent, so I thought I'd post a GF horseradish recipie
prior to Passover.  Also, for all of us out there who have to build up our
bones, try some horseradish with a (canned w/bones) salmon salad (w/GF
mayonaisse and some onion) - it really adds a change of pace!  I got the
recipie from Herb Companion.

Dig up a plump crisp brown horseradish root (or obtain one at the produce
section).  Peel away the brown skin and remove the tough inner core.

In a room with pleny of ventilation (and I mean PLENTY - try the
backyard!!!!) grate the root on a grater or in a food processor.  Mix about
1/2 cup white vinegar (this is where I substitute a GF white wine vinegar -
doesn't seem to hurt the taste) with every 2 cups freshly grated
horseradish.  Add salt, pepper, and a little sugar to taste.  Stir in more
vinegar if necessary to ensure that the mixture is moist.

Pack into sterilized jars, seal, and refrigerate.  Prepared horseradish
will keep three to four months before losing its flavor.

Judy Hettena Wright
Vermont