From:
"Christine H. Duncan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:17:55 EST

HI!
I want to thank everybody who responsed to my question about
neurological/behavioral consequences of untreated celiac disease. I
received 24 responses in all.  Here is the summary:
     Many had no "Scientific Proof" of behavioral changes with the
ingestion of gluten but knew it had happened to them or their celiac
children.
    Two said their children showed no change in ADHD problems even though
those children had been gluten free for a substantial period of time.
One of those two was now investigating the possibility of also going
casein free (dairy free?) with the child to see the effect.
     Several people pointed out web sites where I might find more
information about CD and behavior:  WWW.celiac.com &
www.panix.com/~donwiss>
    A couple of people mentioned Lisa Lewis's article--which has to do
with Autism and CD.  (I believe it can be found on www.panix.com)  Some
of her suggestions on diet (specifically casein free diets) could also
apply to children with other behavior problems.
     One person recommended books(& authors)--Allergies and Your Family
by Dr. Doris Rapp.  And  Carl Pfeiffer's Mental and Elemental Nutrients.
    One person summarized articles from several sources including Gut and
the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology.  I will send this list to
anyone who wants it, but it is too long to summarize here.  It did make
it clear why my son's pediatrician and psychiatrist didn't know this
stuff.  It's all in gastroenterology journals.
     This same person explained that untreated celiac disease disrupts
neuro-transmitters in the brain because so much serotonin is used in the
gut that the brain becomes deficient.  This explained a lot to me right
there.
     Two people wrote to tell me that they were pursuing (had pursued)
degrees and were researching the behavioral connection with CD.  One
promised a paper.  YES!
   Thanks to all for your help and support.  I finally feel that I have
enough "proof."  to submit to my son's doctors so they will at least
consider it..  Celiac disease does have a behavioral connection--it isn's
just in this Mom's head.
                                                    Christine in Colorado