From:
Escuela de Secretariado Internacional <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 05:16:04 +0200

If the cap fits, wear it!

I sincerely regret my insensitivity. Of course, my message was of a
general nature and I understand there are all sorts of cases. You
message, in fact, made me realise how fortunate some may be.

In the case of my granddaughter we have witnessed a wonderful change
from a underweight, potbellied, spindly legged little creature of two,
when she was diagnosed, to a lovely, lively intelligent little girl of
four. Before she was three however, she would refuse any food her mother
had not sanctioned and was always on the lookout for the GF label on
goods in the supermarket. She still gets me to read the label on
anything she fancies to tell her if its OK. When her mother first made
her some GF bread she was delighted but it hardly interests her now: she
prefers nuts, dried fruit and almond cakes in her school satchel. She
does not seem to have any hangups about her condition for the moment but
it is obviously hard to imagine what will happen when she's 15.
Nevertheless we are optimistic.

Obviously the pressure outside is strong but I believe most youngsters
are far more sensible and understanding than we grant them for.

I also understand that being entertained (more than entertaining) is
difficult and so is eating out at restaurants and going away (in fact, I
am considering setting up a small GF country hotel). However, I also
think that life need not be as complicated as we make it - the apparent
enormity of some problems (and a CD diagnosis in the family can
obviously be such) tends to cloud our minds and hide simple solutions.

Everyone must choose their own solution. When I saw the discussion
regarding the alternative options to substitute cereal based foods, I
felt some fresh air and wanted to support it. I still do.

Martin Harris