From:
lynn ranen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:35:25 -0400

Well, I received so many perplexed inquiries about the 'flour soaking' that
I've re-written the directions for this *easy to make* recipe.  it is easy, i
swear.

FYI, cookies and especially bar-type cookies are very forgiving of mistakes
and nutty things like flour soaking and melting or not melting shortening.
The reason that I had to 'soak' the flour is because it was too gritty
(Arrowhead Mills) and felt like sand was in there!!  If you are using a finer
grind (like Ener-G or Kinnikinnicks Flours) then you don't need to worry
about such things.

Sorry for all the confusion. :) lynn

GF Choco-Peanut Butter Bars

I think these are actually better than the original wheat-based version!
ps: they freeze well and travel well.  Mom always brought a pan of these
(family favorites) on camping trips.

* bake @ 375 degrees for 20 minutes in greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
Makes 32 bars.

MIX WET INGREDIENTS

-- 1/2 c. shortening
-- 1/2 c. peanut butter
-- 1/2 c. sugar
-- 1/2 c. brown sugar
-- 2 eggs
-- 2 T. water

MIX DRY INGREDIENTS

-- 1 c. rice flour
-- 1/4 c. tapioca starch
-- 3/4 t. baking soda
-- 1/2 t. baking powder
-- 1/4 t. salt

MIX DRY & WET INGREDIENTS

Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and
immediately sprinkle with 12 oz. chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet).
Let chips melt by covering w/ a cookie sheet.  Spread the chocolate,
and sprinkle with 1/2 c. chopped salted peanuts.  Cool slightly before
cutting.  Store in fridge or freezer.

--
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find;
knock and it will be opened to you. "