From:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 06:12:33 -0400

How long would it take someone who is at least sensitive to wheat, if not
celiac, to react to gluten? We went off lactose on Friday, and back on
wheat. On Sunday, he had diarrhea and by late afternoon was starting to
get tense. On Monday, he woke up "mean as a snake," was very irritable and
tense, had diarrhea at school and what sounds like a psychotic breakdown.
He said his "brain shut down" and all he could do was sit and cry. He
couldn't think straight, everything was coming in mixed up and then he
couldn't think of anything. He was very mean to everyone around him, told
his teachers they were rotting his brain. He also said, "something is
wrong with me, I am sick." My husband got him early out of school and they
wound down together. He was fine by late afternoon.

Am I looking at the smoking gun? I feel, in my gut (so to speak), that he
should not be eating wheat but I also suspect that I should hold out a
little longer for the proof, in case the lactose load is the problem. But,
this is the way he was before we went off gluten last month (just not as
bad), and his teacher said she thought he was doing better (he'll never be
"Pollyanna" she said though!) last week, 2 and a half weeks into being GF
again. He also had no diarrhea after about a week GF.

My son is only 9 yrs old....Is 3 days enough to suffer for science?
Perhaps I have answered my own question, because I want to go back to GF!
(And so does he!!!!)  But, I am curious to know what both experts and
people who are self-diagnosed think about the timing here. Could the
lactose load have caused this?

Anne Washburn
Co-owner, APH - Association of Personal Historians List