From:
Carol R McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:33:48 -0800

Emma wrote:

> As an aside to this, can anyone mail me an example of a "restaurant
> card" - ie a card with a simple explanation of forbiddens, and do
> nots, which can be handed to restaurant staff explaining what we
> can/cannot eat etc. Maybe my choice of vocabulary is confusing to
> others but I never seem to get my point across when I try to
> explain. Maybe I'm just not assertive enough, maybe I look too
> gorgeous and/or innocent? (Maybe I'm too modest!)

This card to be handed over when ordering in Restaurants is courtesy of
the Coeliac Society in Victoria, Australia:

I HAVE BEEN MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED A "COELIAC".

I will be very sick if I eat any foods that contain grains and flours of
wheat, rye, oats, barley and their byproducts.  This includes bread,
breadcrumbs, rolls, buns, bran, batters, cakes, pasta, crispbread,
biscuits, pastry, sausages, sauces, dressings, soups, malt and malt
products.

Coeliacs CAN eat fresh meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, eggs and dairy
products along with rice, corn (maize), soy and potato products.
SO WHEN PREPARING A MEAL, IF IN ANY DOUBT, PLEASE ASK.  THANK YOU.
 ~(~     Carol R McKay  mailto:[log in to unmask]
  @      GPO Box 562, Sydney NSW 2001, Australia