Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Joyce Miller wrote:

>A while back I wrote that i was diagnosed with Rhumatoid
>Arthritis. My doctor gave me a perscription for Naporsyn. the pharmacist
>called the company about a possible gluten problem. They said that there
>was no gluten in the medication. It worked great.
>        Now about 1 month later I am down. Intestinal bleeding, cramps,
>gas. I think that it is worse than before I was diagnosed and i was
>taking Fiber pills at that time.......Using Acetamenophen.
Additional information:
Intestinal bleeding, cramps, gas. are known problems with all NSAID's and a
problem for anyone who needs long term therapy.  Celiac or not.

I haven't been diagnosed with Celiac as yet.  I'm still making my
arguments to my 8 doctors backed up with medical history, case
histories, and their own medical literature.

I was diagnosed with POLYARTHRALGIA  from many different origins;
couldn't tie everything together to diagnose FIBROSITIS (Fibromyalgia).
NSAID's became, and still are a major problem.  With Naprosyn and any
of the other NSAIDS, I can usually go about 4 months before I start running
into gastrointestinal problems.  So I don't know if it's because of a probable
Celiac problem or just the NSAIDS.

What does work for me is a little of a lot instead of a lot of one.  The
regimen that finally worked was 75 MG. of Voltaren in the morning and
500 Mg. of Naprosyn at around 5:00 PM.  Seems I was better able to tolerate
just one dosage of each drug daily as opposed to a double dose of either.
Just something to think about and discuss with your physicians.  Many physicians
don't believe in mixing drugs.  In this case they are chemical differences but
both act on the same problem.

Also bee careful with the acetaminoophen, commercials lead you to believe
it's fairly unobnoxious.  However it has two drawbacks.  One it's not an
anti-inflamatory and only slightly reduces pain.  Actually aspirin is about
40 % more effective.  Also if the recommended dosages are exceeded, it can
destroy your liver/kidney's.

Dennis