Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:38:49 -0700
From:
Paul & Tonya Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone,

I know this is very overdue but here is a summary to my post that was about
a month ago concerning gluten like reactions to chocolate.  THANKS to all
of you who responded.  I am so grateful to all of you.
I have taken portions of the responses that I received and listed them
below.  I hope that this is helpful it sure was to me.  It is nice to know
that I'm not the only one having these strange reactions to food. (Of
course I'm not happy anyone else has to have this happen to them.  I think
you all know what I mean.)

Posts:

I  have problems with Hershey's chocolate.  I LOVE Hershey's Kisses,
and they are supposed to be gluten free too.  Even eating one or two of
them gives me a gluten-like reaction within two hours, so I've stopped.
Same thing with Butterfingers which are supposed to be gluten free.  I
can't eat them.

He's not able to eat chocolate bars or
chocolate chips because of the soy lecithin in them.  I can make him
homemade brownies and chocolate cake with cocoa.

Well, last week I finally confirmed in my own mind that I react
to Oh Henry bars, although it might be the chocolate almond bars.
Oh Henry have roasted peanuts, so it could be that.

 I remember reading somewhere on the list that some manufacturers use
flour on the conveyor belts that the unwrapped product is on.

I was so pleased to find out from a Halloween list posted here that M&Ms
were GF but I ate some and felt bad.

Wow!  I have very similar reactions to Hershey's chocolate bars too.
However, I also use their choc. chips and they don't always give me the
problems.  I personally think that they use something in the product(s)
that may change (different suppliers or something).

Some folks have problems with cocoa processed with alkali. I had the
same reaction (which is a typical hidden gluten-exposure reaction for
me), and someone asked me if I'd had this type of cocoa! So I've
eliminated it, and been better ever since.

 I just thought I'd mention what my problem is with chocolate
and seeing you can handle cocoa (as I can) thought I'd throw it in for what
it's worth--soy.  I did this by process of elimination

My brother is not celiac but has almost the exact same reaction to
chocolate, regular coffee, and regular cola.  Apparently the high
quantity of caffeine and sugar make his entire body ache

I talked to Hershey's last fall and they told me that they couldn't
guarantee
gluten -free products, some of them are and some aren't.  Don't know where
you read your information, but I would question that first

I have been GF for almost one year and have trouble with chocolate.  I was
told by a doctor that chocolate may give those with a sensitive gut some
strange reactions.

I'm new to the list and wanted to tell you that I, too, have problems
with the Hershey's Chocolate Bar.  I had previously called the
manufacturer and they assured me that the plain (no almonds) chocolate
bar was gluten free.   I would eat only small amounts and a couple hours
later would have joint/muscle/bone pain, feel very tired, and also would
get the chills!  (sound familiar?)   I have recently given up chocolate,
suspecting a chocolate allergy.