PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jacobs/Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 05:22:47 -0500
>I have just finished reading _Translating Freud_ (1992)by Darius
>Gray Ornston/Yale University Press, and advise all to give it a read
>if you have time. The theoretical issues involving translation are
>not to be underestimated in so far as Psychoanalysis proper is all
>over the map with respect to language issues and standardization.
>Freud was all over the map with respect to what he attempted to
>do about standardization and this interdiciplinary area is key to
>contemporary research issues. Definitely put this book on course lists
>if you teach psa or history/literature etc.

Bettelheim's Freud and Man's Soul also has some telling passages on the
perils of taking Strachey's translation of Freud as 'gospel'.

Michael Jacobs
Director Psychotherapy and Counselling Programme
University of Leicester
and
Consultant Editor, Open University Press Counselling and Psychotherapy List