NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:37:05 -0400
<I wondered how this worked for milk allergy.  Apparently milk allergy works
by the same rules.  Breastmilk is FAR better than any formula when you're
at risk for a food allergy, and the lactating mother should not have ANY
dairy products in her diet (including things like sodium caseinate in
processed food, etc.)  However, if the baby shows signs of an allergic
reaction even to breastmilk (rare, but it happens) then you'll have no
choice but to switch to a completely milk-free formula.  (Be careful about
reading the ingredients!  Soy-based isn't always the same as milk-free.)>

I had to respond to this.  I am a La Leche League Leader and I have nursed
four of my own babies.  It is absolutely impossible for a baby to be allergic
to his mother's milk.  Babies with galactosemia, a rare metabolic disorder in
which the infant totally lacks the enzyme lactase, cannot drink their
mother's milk or any milk, but this is not allergy related.  The proteins in
human milk are entirely compatible with human babies.
Every mammal makes the milk that is perfect for their own babies.  Cow's
would not do very well on human milk; there would not be enough protein for
growth.
Humans are the only mammal that drinks milk after the age of weaning and that
drinks the milk of another species.  This is not something nature intended.
 Hence, autoimmune diseases, diabetes,, etc...
It's hard in this society when most of us are brought up believing (thanks in
large part to the advertising of the American Dairy Industry) that cow's milk
is good for humans.  This is simply not so.
I have an article entitled, "Dairy: It Does NOT Do A Body Good."  If anyone
would like a copy, e-mail me your address and I'd be happy to send it.

Kim