NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:50:24 -0400

<< He snatches cookies (with milk ingredients) werever he finds them (my 3
 year old has the bad habbit of eating 1/2 cookies and leaving the rest
 around.

There are tons of products and recipes for foods without milk in them.  I
would feed your 3 year old cookies without milk in them.  In our house we
only have soy or corn margarine, non-dairy cream cheese, non-dairy yogurt
etc.  We make great cookies without dairy, eggs or wheat.
 You asked:
 Also when were at a birtheday are a reunion, small children tend to go from
 arm to arm, and some people do mistake to give him something not apt for
 him. Usually as soon as I arrive I explain the situation, and ask them to
 ask for my confirmation first.

I think you did the right thing.  Just keep educating others to the dangers
of food allergies.  I often say to adults "He has life threatening food
allergies", to which I have always been taken seriously.   This weekend my 5
year old when to give his cousin (12 years old) a hug before bed.  He looked
at his cousin's beverage glass before giving him a hug and asked "is that
milk?".    My kids have learned to ask me before they accept any food.
 Although your son is young, a 2-3 year old can understand this.  People do
not often connect "food allergy" with a dangerous reaction, they may think he
will sneeze.  So I continue to watch carefully.   An excellent video that
your daughter may learn about food allergies is The Elephant who Couldn't eat
Peanuts"  available from the Food Allergy Network at
http://www.foodallergy.org/  or 800-929-4040.  There newsletter is excellent
with latest research and recipes etc.   Most people have heard of it, but its
worth mentioning just incase someone hasn't .