NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 06:39:53 -0500
> P.S. Does anyone out there have a child with severe allergies to the
> extent that they get really bad excema from milk, eggs, corn and
> tomatoes. I know someone that her skin gets so bad it just hurts. She is
> looking for something to put on her skin other than cortisone creams as
> she has been on them for too long. Even water hurts her skin.

My daughter had a nasty case of eczema for 4 years.  LacHydrin burned
because she always had open wounds and cortisone creams only provided
temporary relief. She has been in remission for the past 18 months, with an
occasional flare-up usually induced by other treatments that does not
progress to the point of open wounds (ie, when we gave her chelated minerals
for heavy metals, she broke out; when we give her natural Candida
treatments, we've seen her skin break out-- these are expected reactions for
detoxification and are temporary).

They really need to read two books that helped us alot..."Food Chemical
Sensitivities" by Robert Buist and "Super Immunity for Kids" by Leo Galland.
What specifically do we do?  (1) Cut out allergenic foods, (2) rotate other
foods, (3) flax oil supplement (we tried other Omega 3 oils, but flax oil
works best for her) and (3) supplements to ensure proper absorption of flax
oil (outlined in Galland's book).  We did find a natural ointment that
provided temporary relief without the potential of side effects like
cortisone... chickweed ointment by Nature's Way.  However, IMHO, using
creams only treats the symptoms, not the cause.

The difference is night and day.  Pamela used to itch terribly and she had
open wounds on the creases of her arms and legs.  Sometimes she got it
behind her ears.  Her skin felt like sandpaper all over her body.  We do not
use any creams and, by eliminating food allergies and giving flax, her skin
is soft and smooth.
And, we don't restrict baths or any of the recommendations of most
dermatologists for children with sensitive skins.  Diet and flax seems to
work for Pamela.

I would also check into the possibility of leaky gut and/or Candida playing
a role here, especially if the child has had a history of antibiotic use.

Tammy G.

"A parent's love perceives no limitations."