NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 03:48:42 -0500
>I was recently given an empty package from a product called >SoySingles
from Soymage.  It is marked casein free and has a OU >pareve heksher!
Unfortunatly, none of my area health food stores >currently carry it, but
I'm out in the boonies.  Perhaps you can find it >and tell me how it tastes?
        Well they are rather "rubbery" but it does melt better than most
faux-cheeses I've tried.  Kind of expensive and doesn't taste well enough to
be eaten on it's own.  I tried it in something like a grilled cheese sammy
and didn't care too much for it.  Also tried it with a vegan burger as a
"patty-melt" and didn't mind it so much that way but I can fake the amount
of creaminess it lent much less expensively and with a whole lot less fat
than the Soy Singles.  They do look good---like Kraft singles or something,
but that's basically where the similarities end. :-) Needless to say it was
a one time purchase that was a good experiment, but I don't think I'll a
package again (so maybe living in the "boonies" is a good thing-huh?)  :-)