NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:00:56 -0500
Message text written by Ilya
>When I am refering to bacteria in yogurt using the milk protein I didn't
mean for energy - I meant for building the proteins it needs itself. As far
as I know they can't use atmospheric nitrogen so must get it from the
proteins. Since the various proteins in those bacteria are NOT casein then
they must use it up to build those they need. Thus there would no longer be
sensitivity
to it. By residual proteins I did not mean that there is little protein
left in yogurt. I was talking about residual CASEIN left in it, not yet
broken down by the bacteria. Protein that is part of bacteria would still
be counted as part of yogurt protein, but would not be causing sensitivity
reactions in humans.<

The bacteria added to milk to make yogurt has all the protein it needs.  It
does not use, break down, digest, or in any other way touch the protein in
the milk.  Any casein in the milk to begin with stays there.  Bacteria
protein is not counted as part of the overall protein count.

>I agree that milk of different animals have different compositions. What
puzzles me is this. Human milk may have less of some protein(s) than cow
milk. However, if it still has sufficient amounts of it then that would
suggest that human babies should not have allergic reactions to it.
Otherwise we would not evolve to have it in our milk. Well, if human babies
don't have allergic reactions to those proteins then what causes such
reaction in them to cows milk and why are adults different?<

Two points here.  One, casein and whey are not individual proteins; they
are families of proteins.  Human milk has different subsets of each family
than cow's milk does.  Therefore cow's milk introduces new proteins never
before seen in human milk.  Two, I believe that even proteins designated by
the same name vary slightly from animal to animal so that their
introduction could still be considered to be new and dangerous by the
system's antibodies.

>Does your book deal primarily with lactose? Do you cover proteins in it as
well as other subjects?<

Yes, my book is primarily for people with lactose intolerance.  I do touch
upon milk allergies in many places.  And I talk a great deal about milk,
milk products,  lactose in medications, finding milk in packaged foods, and
milk alternative products.

Hope this helps,

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper