NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

George Kontos <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:48:14 -0500
Having read this list for several days now, I've become familiar with terms
that I never before associated with milk products, and this is all becoming
quite mind-boggling!  My teenage daughter and I are lactose intolerant, so I
am mainly interested in information relating to that issue.

Take caseine, for instance.  (I always thought that was glue.)   Is caseine a
source of lactose?  What about whey or lactoblobulin?  Do all milk products
contain lactose?  If not, would someone please be kind enough to explain
which do and which do not?  Kathy Wentz ([log in to unmask]) posted that
even caramel coloring or flavoring contain milk products.  Is caramel a
source of lactose?

In a recent post, Hazel Green ([log in to unmask]) supplied a nice list of
"names for milk".  Most are obvious sources of dairy products, but some
really surprised me.  For example, how can something labelled "margarine
(Fleishmann's twin pack 100% guarranteed milk-free)" contain milk products?

Also, what about "coffee whiteners"?  I presume this means products like
non-dairy Coffeemate and Creamora.  How can these products, labelled as
*non-dairy*, contain milk or milk products?  Hazel also lists "seasonings" as
containing milk products.  Can someone explain that one as well?

George Kontos