NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 18:40:46 -0500
In looking for yogurt recipes I came across this article:

Subject:   Re: Non-Dairy Cream Cheese?
From:      [log in to unmask] (Mary)
Date:      1996/03/19
Newsgroup: rec.food.veg.cooking

Stefanie Bloom ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> Does anyone have any ideas for cream cheese, sour cream,
> yoghurt, or cottage cheese?

I haven't tried these recipes but thought I'd pass them along anyway.

Adapted from The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook:

yogurt cream cheese

1 cup moist soy yogurt* cheese (drain whey from soy yogurt by tying it up
in nylon and hanging it over the sink - or line a colander with nylon
stocking or cheesecloth and let yogurt drain)
2 Tbls. oil
1/8 tsp salt

blend ingredients in a blender until smooth - pour into a dish and chill
for an hour or two
*soy yogurt can usually be found in health food stores

yogurt "cottage cheese"

sprinkle salt over a bowl of moist yogurt cheese curds

tofu sour cream

1 cup tofu
1/4 cup oil
1 Tbls. vinegar (or 2 T lemon juice)
1/2 tsp salt

blend until creamy and smooth

You could probably also use soy yogurt as sour cream by adding
oil and maybe a little vinegar to it.