NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Pearson, Loretta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:17:35 -0800
I've struggled with people not believing I'm allergic, or that it's
serious. Most think I'm just wanting attention, etc. Family is more
accepting of some food limitations. I just keep saying NO THANK YOU!
It's been difficult, they all have "answers" and push me to try their
advise. My doctors get frustrated when I try something they didn't
perscribe and have servere reactions.

Friends will think they're doing a great job of cooking for me, no
cheese or milk, BUT they'll put whip cream on the dessert and think it's
non dairy! One friend worked so hard but never thought about butter
being a dairy product! They don't think about all the foods that are
dairy! I'm greatful when they try, but feel guilty saying no to
something they thought was non-dairy.

Some friends think I should just stop the nonsense and eat normal.
They're the hard ones. It's a struggle enough to leave dairy foods alone
(especially cheese). When I'm craving cheese and they're encouraging me
to eat it, they make decisions more difficult. It's hard for people to
understand that a "little bit" WILL hurt me! Sometimes my throat swells
and it triggers asthma and hives, etc. I can get by with a little
occasionally, but some things cause severe reactions immediately.

I'm trying to educate friends. But I think the problem is in my resolve.
When I take my allergies serious and I take responsibility for my health
care, then I say NO much easier! When I believe it can be life
threatening and damaging to my health it's easier to be firm with
friends, family and co-workers. The hardest one to convience is ME. I
want to splurg, binge, indulge, so it's an inner battle made harder by
the outside influences.

That's where I'm coming from. I'm working on accepting the food
allergies and protecting myself. Accepting is the struggle!
Loretta