NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:11:59 -0600
It isn't everyday that someone asks you for your opinion so I hope to get
LOTS of responses to this one:  I am very curious to know how different
people are dealing with the issue of co-workers, friends, and even family
members who have trouble dealing with/understanding allergies?

Specifically, I'm finding the work environment to be far less than
understanding.  Tomorrow, for example, my co-workers are having a
pizza-party for lunch.  A few weeks ago it was a cake (with butter icing)
and ice cream fair-well party for an outgoing office mate.  How do you
handle these types of occurrences in your own work place?  I don't expect
the world to conform to my standards of living, but it would be nice to be
included in everyday functions occasionally.  :-)

I'm finding friends much more respectful at least, but if there is going to
be a dinner party, I find that I am doing the inviting/hosting/cooking.  And
as for my family, well they think that there is no such thing as Casein
allergy...that milk is healthy for EVERYBODY..that it is "all in my head"
and that I should sit down and enjoy ice cream, milk, & cheese filled
veggies with them on a daily basis--this inspite of the fact that I strongly
suspect that a reaction to dairy products was the cause behind my mother's
death.

 I'm keeping a good sense of humor in spite of all the ignorance and trying
to use each event as a teaching/learning experience for those involved as
appropriately as possible.  Seems that this list is full of people (even
lurkers) ranging from those who have known about their own dairy
allergies/intolerance for a long time and those who are just learning.  I
would be interested in hearing your thoughts, either publicly to share with
the rest of the list or in e-mail for those who are inclined to keep their
privacy.  My e-mail is:  [log in to unmask]   Thanks for your
input...I'm curious to see how other people are handling these situations!

Smiles,
Dawn