NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:41:17 -0600
At 02:52 PM 2/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I did not know goat yogurt, cheese and ice cream are available.
>  Who makes those products?
>
>  Marilyn

Feta cheese is one example of goat-cheese that is commonly available...you
have to read the label though to make sure it is made from goat's milk
(other alternatives include sheep's milk and cow's milk).  I don't know
about yogurt/ice cream other than recipes to make your own.

My allergies are so, that I can't consume goat's milk either but I do have
an untried recipe for Ibe cheese:

1 gallon goat's milk
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 piece fresh ginger root, peeled
3 shallots
1/4 tsp white pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan.  Simmer over low heat until dry
curds float on top of liquid whey and temperature measures 160 degrees on a
confectioners thermometer, about 45 min.

With a ladle, gently transfer curds to a sieve lined with several
thicknesses of cheese-cloth.  Discard whey and spices.

Tie curds up in a tight ball using the cheesecloth, squeezing out as much
liquid as possible.  Place a heavy pot on top for 30 min. to squeeze out
excess liquid.  Refrigerate.

(The recipe says it is an Ethiopian dish that is excellent served with curry
or on whole-grain crachers.)