NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Shade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:44:47 -0700
dear friends, i'm very excited about this new mail group.  my name is
Christopher and my wife, Paige, and i live in denver colorado and we
live milkfree lives.  we have lots of dairy free recipes and hopefully
i'll find time to share many of them with you.  here's a very tasty
creamy pumpkin soup!
--

Pumpkin Soup

1/4 c. soy margarine
2 lb. pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into large pieces (see below note)
2/3 c. warm water
a pinch of grated nutmeg
a pinch of dried thyme
salt
ground black or white pepper
5 c. soy milk, thinned with 1 1/4 c. water
1/4 c. long-grain white rice or other rice variety

Melt the soy margarine in a large saucepan.  Add the pumpkin, stir well
and cook over low to moderate heat for 10 minutes.  Add the water,
nutmeg and thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and cook over a
high heat until the pumpkin is soft.

Puree the pumpkin mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth,
adding a little of the thinned soy milk if necessary.  Clean the
saucepan and return the puree to the saucepan.

Add the remaining thinned soy milk and rice to the pumpkin puree.  Stir
well, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender,
stirring occasionally.

Add more salt or pepper if desired.  Serve in warm bowls.

NOTE: Do not use carving pumpkins; instead, use "pie-making" pumpkins,
the smaller pumpkins.  Carving pumpkins are edible but do not have a
full taste.  It's tough to describe, I heard, but similar to the
difference between plain white bread and wheat.  I've never cooked a
carving pumpkin.

SOURCE: Adapted from a recipe in The Pumpkin Cookbook, published by
Hamlyn.