NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 22:15:09 -0500
Dawn,

I would like to reiterate what has been said previously on this list,
and that is that cow's milk is meant for baby cows, not humans.  Milk is
very mucous forming (even for those not allergic) and very little of the
calcium in milk is available for absorption by the body.

Blood tests for calcium are not reliable.  The body "borrows" calcium
from the bones in order to keep the calcium level in the blood
constant.  I, too, had a blood test for calcium some years ago and it
turned out "normal."  Yet before I reached age 40 I was diagnosed with
osteoporosis through a bone density test.   Have you had a bone scan to
determine bone loss?  Part of my problem was lack of digestive enzymes,
so in spite of eating a very healthy diet and taking supplements for
years, I was literally starving to death for lack of proper digestion
and assimilation.

Back to the calcium -- I've had trouble taking calcium supplements most
of my life, but I don't have any problem with calcium citrate.  I get
mine from a chiropractor in Virginia.  The brand is Thorne Research and
it states on the label:  "This hypo-allergenic product is provided in
pure capsule form to eliminate the need of binders, excipients, coatings
or other ingredients which may be detrimental to the user.    Thorne
Research products are available exclusively through physicians."

Susan
--
suz