NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:33:21 -0500
Message text written by Hazel and Ray Green
>I was wondering if anyone knows of any connections between c-sections and
lactose intollerance. I have heard that you can develop a lactose
intollerance after abdominal surgery and a c-section is considered
abdominal surgery. I was not lactose intollerant until after I had my
sections. Any comments??<

The mechanism that makes lactase in our intestines is a fragile one and has
certainly been known to be temporarily knocked out by surgery.  However,
that surgery usually has to be to the intestines to have that effect.  And
permanent losses are rarer.  Are you permanently lactose intolerant now?
Have you been tested as such?  Have you ever had any other intestinal
surgery?  A serious intestinal disease?  Have you ever had your intestines
examined for damage from other causes?  I think we need a little more
information from you on this.

P.S.  Of course, it's always possible that you were simply due to become
lactose intolerant as a natural consequent of aging at around this time in
any case, and the c-sections had absolutely nothing at all to do with it!
Coincidences happen!

Hope this helps,

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper