NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:51:46 -0700
On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:47:35 -0700 Susan Martin
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Regarding the mom who's tempted to switch to soy formula over nursing, I
would
>tell her only that since weaning my son at maybe 18-20 months (being 5
months
>pregnant with the next was just too much for me on top of nursing), he
has
>not gained an ounce of weight.  <snip>.  The breastmilk
>seems to provide essential fats that you MIGHT get with soy (if your
child
>does okay with it, mine didn't) but that you won't get elsewhere.

I've doen a bit more searching for information and think I have myself
convinced to keep doing what I'm doing, at least for now.  I went to see
the lactation consultants at the hospital near us yesterday looking for
whatever information they had.  She pulled out some good statistics and
information on allergies and eczema.  Since I have eczema, that is
biggest factor.  She just appears to be very sensitive.  She also
reminded me that it might not be a food allergy that is causing the still
mild problems.  Based on problems with soy formula, she might be even
worse or it could due more damage.  Her feelings, based on what she
looked up, was that I was probably providing better protection even with
mild outbreaks than with soy formula.  Kind of the devil you know versus
the devil you don't :-)  The pediatrician said she thought things were
just fine and wouldn't change anything, but I guess I just needed a
second opinion.

>I would mention too that I spend major time cooking (trying to anyway
with the
>limited ingredients)-- much more than before weaning because I am
paranoid
>he's not getting or absorbing adequate nutrition (which I didn't feel
when
>he was nursing).

Fortunately, I like to cook and in general have the time.  I'm fortunate
to be able to be home with my child and not forced to work outside the
home.  She is rather high maintenance with the spitting up and eczema
(what a laundry factory!)  I have been experimenting with alternative
ingredients and find it rather discouraging because I'm used to the taste
of certain foods.  I worry about my own nutrition - I know the baby gets
what she needs first and I get what's left.  I figure this is good
practice for when she is on table foods - hopefully, I'll have this down
by then :-)

Thanks for the info and encouragement,
Kathy