NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:59:40 -0400
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The first was from a conversation I had with my allergist about avoiding
>highly allergic foods while nursing.  One of the comments he made was
>that they no longer recommended strict avoidance because of lacking
>nutrition problems that occurred and caused too many problems in low risk
>cases.  He mentioned that they didn't recommend it at all ANYMORE during
>pregnancy because of the nutrition problems.

Kathy,

It is not clear to me removing which foods are causing nutrition problems.
Dairy is certainly not a needed food in the human diet. It wasn't in our
ancestors diet, and isn't in the diet in much of the world. We can easily
cover all of its negative benefits here, and as far as I can see the
positives are just hype from the dairy industry.

As for the hyped need for calcium, no one ever seems to ask why the needs
are so high. Well, the answer is well known, many studies have been done,
but everybody ignores the primary reason. That is phytic acid in the diet.
This is in whole grains and some in beans and nuts. The phytic acid
combines with minerals in the body, primarily calcium, and forms phytates
which precipitate out of the body. One researcher argues that the move to
feed underdeveloped parts of the world grains is the primary reason
osteoporosis is rising in these places.

Staffan Lindeberg has written two good articles on this. You can retrieve
these articles by sending in the command GETPOST PALEODIET 177 196 to the
[log in to unmask] address.

And more general information on our ancestor's diet, free of dairy and
grains, can be found at:

  The Paleolithic Diet Page:  http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/

Don.